History

of St. Paul United Church of Christ

Our congregation was organized on December 12, 1858, as St. Paul German Evangelical Church.  The first worship services were held in homes of members.  Our first church building was dedicated on November 6, 1859. Our current church building was dedicated in 1953 and an educational building was added in 1965.

In 1934 the Evangelical Synod of North America (our denomination) united with the Reformed Church in the United States to form the Evangelical and Reformed Church. In 1957 the Evangelical and Reformed Church merged with the Congregational Christian Churches to form the United Church of Christ.

Over the past 150 plus years many pastors have come and gone, along with more than a few buildings, but through it all St. Paul Church continues faithfully to serve  God in the Pekin Community.